Sunday, February 14, 2016

We got a little bit lost.....

...but only for about 5 km or so.  It didn't seem right to follow the sign saying Something Road, No Exit but it wasn't pointed in exactly the right direction so we keep going.  Soon the truck and trailer with all our gear on it came along and Kay and Michael told us to stop, because they thought they were on the wrong road too.  We all got sorted out and carried on - I was pretty glad it was a 90 km day and not tomorrow's 134 km day!

Lovely riding today with gentler hills, lots of green all around us to shelter us from the sun (there's a great big hole in the ozone layer over NZ so sunscreen is crucial), some cooling showers, which was not like riding in a rain shower at home when the temperature automatically drops about 10 degrees at least, and a ferry ride.  I rode into the town where the ferry docks and found a bunch of our group at the cafe, having coffee and snacks before the ferry departure.  Great! I thought to myself, finally, a coffee stop - first cup of the day (it was just after 12:30).  So I ordered my usual long black, paid and was given a number to place on my table.  There was about 20 minutes before ferry time.  This was not a Tim Horton's, a good long black takes time and there were other more complex orders in front of mine.  So then I ordered it to go, thinking I could either ride holding onto it the short distance to the ferry or stick in my water bottle cage on my bike.  Eventually, it arrived and although I really wanted to enjoy it right then and there, it was time to go, so it went in my bottle cage.  Three km to the ferry with about 12 minutes before it sailed - that seemed doable.  Then I passed the sign that said FOUR km to the ferry.  Yikes!  Pedal faster!  But all was for naught - it must have been filled up with cars so it left early!  Like Wayne said, "what kind of country is this - the ferry leaves early?"  So we lounged in the grass, did some yoga and stretching and snacking and got on the next one.  I didn't even notice what time that one left - it didn't matter any more, we were on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment