Wednesday, February 17, 2016

How to finish ahead of most of the pack

i got into lunch a couple of days ago and right away Kay asked me if I had the phone (the NZ phone our friend Nix gave us) or if Wayne did.  Apparently, Wayne had blasted down a hill and right past the lunch truck, so since I had the phone with me, Kay's call saying "you've passed lunch" was gong to be unheeded by Wayne.  In fairness, the trailer with all the lunch stuff and our bags in it IS mostly green - easily missed in this lush green land.  However, I really can't explain how Wayne managed to be stripped down and lathering up with hand soap form the dispenser (he didn't have his own) in the LADIES shower at our cabin accomodation!  Maybe an eye test is in order.  The cabins we stayed in were quite basic but the dinner we had lined up at the cafe down the road was outstanding.  Chicken, a whole leg of ham, stuffing, veggies, salads and fresh warm bread....just the thing after a loooong day on the bike.  I'll just go on a bit more about food - we've had a coupe of barbeques, which I understood last night to be burgers but also included lamb chops, sausages and chicken.  Animal protein is front and centre at meals here.  So I eased off at the winery lunch today and had a nice mushroom risotto and some green veggies.  

We are back on the bikes tomorrow, with Auckland behind us!


2 comments:

  1. Good job on the blog, Trish. We are following your ride. Wayne seems to be having his own adventure. You go, Wayne!
    May speed be with you. Sally & Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stories Trish! Dan and I are heading to NZ in about a month for 3 weeks to fish and camp, can't wait. Sounds beautiful from your description! Linda

    ReplyDelete