Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Heaven on earth!

I have lost quite a bit of weight in the last couple of months with all the pedalling we've done...but in the last 24 hours I have been making a concerted effort to put it all back on. Two days ago while we were shopping in Nanyuki, we passed a chemist's shop with a big scale out front, so Sandy and I decided to blow the five shillings each and see how much we weighed. I was down about 13 pounds to 127, which explains why I now look like a scrawny, bony 12 year old. With wrinkles, and I won't even go into what my hair looks like.

However, this lodge stay may transform me! Yesterday's lunch and dinner were sumptuous and breakfast this morning started with bananas in chocolate sauce and a mimosa to tide me over until the eggs and bacon and grilled tomato arrived. All of us TDAers made a serious dent in the cheese board, having been cheese deprived for much too long.

All this was after the best shower so far in Africa...in our tent! Hot AND cold running water, the abundant shower water disappeared quickly down a drain instead of going all over the floor, the toilet flushes and has a seat! And there are TWO rolls of toilet paper, fluffy white towels and even that rarest of amenities, facecloths!

Yesterday afternoon's game drive was beyond incredible. I was thrilled with what we saw...I don't think I can adequately describe what we saw - there was so much. Black rhinos, white rhinos, elephants, giraffes, lions, impalas, gazelles, jackals, baboons, Cape buffalo....the list goes on. Our South African friend Bridget tells us we don't know how lucky we are to have seen so much on one drive. Our guide was fantastic.

So all in all, I am a happy girl! Tomorrow, we get back on the bikes for 2 days ride to Nairobi, another rest day, 2 more days ride to Arusha in Tanzania, with 3 days off where we might just do this whole safari experience again!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment