Friday, January 11, 2013

Still EFI!

Short post just to say Day 1 is done! 134km starting with the ride to the pyramids from the hotel, the highlights of which included the constant honking of vehicle horns, stray dogs barking at us, our convoy of riders passing donkey carts, kids waving. people staring and smiles all around on the faces of the riders. After a photo session at the pyramids (they are even more awesome in sunshine) a delicious buffet of snacks provided by the transport company and finding a place to pee with Sandy holding up my trusty long wraparound skirt to protect my modesty, the REAL ride began. We continued in a convoy as our ride took us out of Cairo down a Deerfoot Trail type of freeway. Once we turned off that route we were on our own to ride the rest of the day. All was well until Wayne got a flat about half a km from the finish, just below a small rise so he couldn't see how close he was to our desert camp. I guess somebody had to have the first flat of our little group of three! It was a bit of a struggle setting up our $@&! tent but the ever helpful Natalie came to my rescue and we got it done. Almost 8 pm now so I think it is time for sleep. Tomorrow is another long day - 166 kilometres but mostly flat.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! Linda told me about your trip and forwarded a link so I think I might vicariously live out one of my fantasy adventures by following yours. Good luck and I look forward to seeing/reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! these guys don't believe in short distances, as in ~ 100 k, do they? but then you are not loaded, so can be forgiven. Keep it up you guys! and maybe that was your beginners luck with the flat, and no more for a while!
    hope you will get along the river soon and enjoy the sights and sounds of rural Egypt.
    We've had a few inches of snow here and it's -12 at the moment.
    Keep pedalling ...Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish and Wayne,
    What a great start and ONLY 134 km. Steve and I are exhausted following on the blog but not breaking out a sweat from our arm-chairs. However, trying to post my comments is a bit of a hit and miss. You'll know it when I am successful.
    Only 11,866 km to go - keep up the spin. ...Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, getting up that early is just wrong ...never mind the sore butt at end of the day. BUT good for the both of you and we will be following along ....trying to feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Guys,
    I admire your spirit of adventure. That is the sort of thing I would love to do. Will be following your progress & hope all goes smoothly.
    Robin Grant

    ReplyDelete