Thursday, January 31, 2013

Photos from Sudan

First photo - playing around in an abandoned boat in the desert at Dead Camel Camp...still wondering why the boat was even there...

Second photo - hence the name of Dead Camel Camp, where we were cycling was along a camel trade route, the camels are raised in Sudan where they are not eaten by the inhabitants, north to Egypt where they are consumed.  A few dont make it and the desert has its way of getting rid of them.

Third photo - the Stanley Cup beside the Blue Nile in Khartoum

Fourth photo - bikes being engulfed with sand during the raging sandstorm.  A bit hard on all the components, but it gave us something to do today in Khartoum, cleaning sand out of every nook and cranny.

More to come....

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any explanation of why a replica of the Stanley Cup would be beside the Blue Nile in Khartoum? Set up by Canadian ex-pats perhaps to remind them of home? Does Khartoum have any good sports bars where you can watch hockey from Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You scared me for a minute - I thought that pile of bones was Wayne!!! I can't believe you have biked that far already - it seems like you just started. We are in the Lost Soul as they did not reach their limit.
    It has been very cold here but it warmed up yesterday. Supposed to get close to 0 for the next week.
    That sand does not look inviting. I am sure you are looking forward to some green vegetation.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dropped everything when I started reading your blog. I thought you were going to begin your journey at the end of January, but I caught up quickly with your entertaining and informative writing. What an adventure, beats the ice chipping from frozen sidewalks in Okotoks! I will be in and around Kimberley (South Africa) probably the first or second week of April. I am not really sure what your schedule is, but if you are taking the Hwy 12 south during that time, Ingrid and I might actually see you live (and hopefully still alive)! Karel

    ReplyDelete