Friday, April 19, 2013

Safe in Botswana, happy not to be in Boston

What a bizarre turn of events in Boston, how tragic and incomprehensible. Our first real brush with TV news in months at the nice lodge/campground we stayed at on Tuesday and that was what we saw as a developing story. Thanks to you who took time to let us know that no one we know was caught up in the attack directly.

Botswana has been a land of contrasts; we went from the excitement of riding along the Elephant Highway to despairing over the loooong distances over flat and, well, boring terrain into a relentless headwind. But back to those elephants! Day one on the highway had me on high alert scanning the undergrowth for patches of grey.....there we're none that were elephants, but I did see one rhino! Day two I was determined to find me an elephant, but it took until after lunch, when Sandy and I saw a magnificent bull cross the highway about 300 metres ahead of us. Not long after, I saw 2 more, then a few minutes later, a group of 3. They are really big when you ride by them on your bike! Although all but the first were eating, I have no doubt they were very aware of my presence so I just slowed down to admire them. We now are getting into a dry area so that might be it for elephants. However, a few days ago the camp we stayed at offered river cruises so we decided to give it a try....did we ever see elephants! There are between 160,000 to 180,000 elephants in Botswana, and they do like their water fresh and clean so the cruise on the river gave us the opportunity to see literally hundreds of them, along with loads of hippos! The guide was excellent and took the pontoon boat up close to the various groups so we had great viewing opportunities.

Next task is to redo the blog post from Victoria Falls which got lost in cyberspace somewhere.....

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment